Monday, March 28, 2005

Three NYT Headlines Catch the Eye

An Army Program to Build a High-Tech Force Hits Cost Snags (Tim Weiner) With Bush Safely Re-elected, Rove Turns Intensity to Policy (Richard W. Stevenson) President Bush's New Public Face: Confident and 'Impishly Fun' (Elisabeth Bumiller) And what are we to make of these stories? 1) The estimated cost of Rumsfeld's plan for a stripped-down army, which relies heavily on robots and networked weapons, is $145 billion. And that does not include $25 billion for the network connecting the robots and telling them what to do. The one thing that seems to be absent from the Army's plan for the future is specifications for beaming soldiers from spacecrafts to the battleground. 2) Karl Rove is the President of the United States. No news there. 3) George W. Bush is the prototype for Rumfeld's Robot Army and the human-like enhancement has been tweaked too far toward putz. But the biggest inference to be made from these three top stories is that the White House, the Pentagon and the GOP have no conception of the damage their Schiavo shenanigans have done to the Bush administration. One-hundred-percent of George W. Bush's highly vaunted “political capital” has been spent on 23% of the US voters who are religious right fanatics. That leaves 77% of the voters faced with the realization that the leadership in the White House can't make sound judgments and is out of control. Since three-quarters of US voters are able to think clearly, it's time for us to brush up on Article II, Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution: Impeachment of Federal Officials

No comments: