Sunday, September 16, 2007

There Must Be a Fancy Name For It!

I think C.G. Jung called the experience of going under anesthesia and feeling you were being told the secret of the universe, “The Cosmic Consciousness of the Everlasting Now”. So there must be a name for the experience of suddenly being electrified by the thought “What the hell am I doing here?” If no name has been attributed to that galvanizing jolt of clarity, let’s call it the “Oh Shit! Fuck This!” moment. The entire nation of the United States needs an OSFT flash of pure sanity. That we all can just sit here and calmly listen to George W. Bush use the word “success” when describing the woeful failure of his stupid surge in Iraq is apathy carried to the extreme of being comatose. What would happen if we all were hit with OSFT at the same moment? I remember being seized by OSFT a half-century ago. For reasons I needn’t go into I was working at the most mind-numbing job in Rock Island, Illinois, far from family, friends, husband, child, and I was semi-somnolently going from one day to the next. Suddenly, at 1:00 in the morning OSFT rocked me to my core. Within an hour, I was on my way back to New York. Of course, a true OSFT cannot be manufactured. It just happens. But we, as a nation, at least need to come to grips with the fact that the Bush administration, General Petraeus, Ambassador Crocker, the neocons and all the warmongers in the world would be powerless if the people in the United States simply shook off their lethargy and told our government, ENOUGH ALREADY! DO OUR BIDDING OR SHIP OUT!!!!! And that we can do, OSFT or no OSFT!

No comments: