Monday, May 15, 2006

Dear David Brooks:

You are an idiot. Yesterday, on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday morning show, the topic came around to the NSA and its wiretapping. Specifically, the issue was that the NSA had gotten Verizon, AT&T and Bell South to compile and analyze the phone records of millions of Americans. The roundtable consisted of you who write op/eds for the New York Times, Democratic strategist Donna Brazile and ABC’s George Will. It was predictable that you and George Will would see nothing wrong with the wiretaps. It was predictable that you and George Will would say no one had been harmed and no one had actually been eavesdropped on. It was predictable that you and George Will would say the NSA would use the information it received to make Americans more secure by only investigating people who were involved in wicked skullduggery. But you, because you are an idiot, said Americans could fundamentally trust the NSA. Why in the name of anything holy would Americans feel we could fundamentally trust the FBI, the CIA or the NSA? The FBI in the past has been used to get information on Americans that the White House wanted to discredit. Saddam Hussein and Panama’s drug lord Manuel Noriega both worked for the CIA. For me, that does not inspire trust. The NSA has been so clandestine, secret and covert that wags said NSA stood for No Such Agency. Why would we trust any of these people? I surely don’t trust them. These agencies are staffed by and run by people who will do anything they are told to do by anyone perceived to be a superior. A spy is not trustworthy. A spy is a fucking SPY. Spies spy. I have known two low-level people in the CIA. I wouldn’t have slept in the same room with either one…not without one eye open. I don’t trust that information gleaned about me would not be used at some time in the future to my detriment if it suited the aims of some president. The current president lies every time he opens his mouth. Why would I trust him when he says the NSA won’t use my info against me? I don’t trust the NSA and I don’t trust you, David Brooks.

No comments: